It emerged last night that the government has finally stopped the NHS sending misleading mailings to patients about their medical records. But it has done nothing to prevent those who have already been mailed from being cheated of their medical privacy. The irrevocable upload of GP’s records to a national database is continuing for all families who have been sent the mailing, but who have not made a special application to opt-out.
A Channel 4 News report  last night obtained the following statement from the NHS:
‘We believe the decision on whether to create new Summary Care Records must continue to be taken locally by GP practices and Primary Care Trusts.
‘All new mailings of letters informing patients about the Summary Care Record have been paused…’
In other words, those Primary Care Trusts already uploading personal records can continue to do so, despite the process being stopped.
NO2ID  renewed its call on health minister Andrew Lansley to suspend the NHS Summary Care Records programme altogether.
Guy Herbert, General Secretary of NO2ID said:
‘This is an extraordinary decision. A gang of robbers is apprehended, but gets to keep all the stolen goods. By halting further mailings, they effectively admit the process is deceptive. By doing it quietly, they show they don’t want a fuss. But people who have already been deceived, millions of them, stay cheated. The bureaucrats can do what they like with their records.
‘If it is wrong to go on, then it was wrong to start with. Uploads must cease now.’
- 26 million ‘kept in the dark’ as ministry prepares to seize their medical records, NO2ID Press Release — 16 June 2010 http://press.mu.no2id.net/2010-06/26-million-kept-in-the-dark-as-ministry-prepares-to-seize-their-medical-records/
- NHS patient record leaflet campaign halted, Channel 4, 12 August 2010
- NO2ID is the UK-wide non-partisan campaign against ID cards and the database state. See http://www.no2id.net/dbstate for a list of ‘database state’ initiatives that NO2ID is actively opposing.
For more information, or for immediate or future interview, please contact
- Phil Booth (National Coordinator, national.coordinator at no2id.net) on 07974 230 839
- Guy Herbert (General Secretary, general.secretary at no2id.net) on 07956 544 308
- or Michael Parker (Press Officer, press.officer at no2id.net) on 07773 376 166.